Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Beltran Wants To Steal More Bases


Carlos Beltran is a top 5 outfield pick and a top 10 pick overall. Besides not hitting at the magical .300 (he is a career .281 hitter, .275 last year), he gives you everything you need in roto. In 2006, Beltran had career highs in runs (127), home runs (41), and RBI (116), all while missing 22 games due to injury (510 AB). He did disappoint owners that were looking for more stolen bases out of him last year (18). The report from spring training is that Beltran is looking to steal more bases this year. If he stays healthly, hitting in a great Mets lineup, he has the potential to be a 40-40 guy. Beltran will reward owners this year, especially if he repeats last years numbers while adding to his stolen base totals.

From the AP:

Carlos Beltran wants to be on the run a lot more this season for the New York Mets.

Two years removed from stealing 42 bases, the All-Star outfielder intends to be more of a base-stealing threat after swiping just 18 a year ago.

"I know that if I'm healthy and I have no pain in my knees and all of that, I'll be able to do that," Beltran said Monday after he reported to Tradition Field to take some light batting practice.

Mets manager Willie Randolph said Beltran could have more stolen bases than even shortstop Jose Reyes by the end of the season. Reyes had 64 last year and has led the National League in each of the last two seasons.

"He could steal 40-to-50 bases easy, and I say easy if he's feeling healthy," Randolph said of Beltran.

Injuries limited Beltran's baserunning last season, although the slugger hit a career-high 41 home runs after a disappointing 16 in his debut with Mets in 2005.

"I hope to keep doing it," Beltran said. "It's a great feeling when you hit home runs, but I'm not going to the plate thinking this year that I should hit over 40 home runs. That's something that is not in my mind. I prefer to hit over .300 than hit 40 home runs."
Source: AP