Monday, March 26, 2007

Reed Johnson will leadoff for Blue Jays

Reed Johnson, for the first time, is being counted on as the everyday left fielder and leadoff man. At age 30, with eight pro seasons under his belt, Johnson feels like a rookie. It's been a long time coming and he appreciates the opportunity that he has fully earned. "I accepted my roles in the last couple of years, but I always thought I could play every day," Johnson said. "I tried in the off-season, with my work ethic on and off the field to prove it. I just felt like I had a lot more to offer. If I sat back and pouted and was angry and didn't get my work in, I would never have been ready when the opportunities arose."

Every season since arriving in the majors, Johnson has either come off the bench as spot starter and injury fill, or platooned. The Cal-State Fullerton Titan is now being asked to leadoff every day with Lyle Overbay batting second vs. right-handers. Johnson hit .319 last year with 12 HR, 49 RBI, 86 runs, and 8 SB in 134 games.
Source: Toronto Star