Monday, March 26, 2007

Willingham will hit cleanup

According to MLB.com, Marlins OF Josh Willingham is preparing for his role as a cleanup hitter this season. He will follow slugger Miguel Cabrera in Florida's lineup this season. "We have Miguel," Willingham said of Cabrera being the driving force in the lineup. "We don't have a (David) Ortiz or somebody to come behind him. We have to have that consistency throughout. I'll never be one of those (Ortiz) guys. That's where I think my preparation comes into play. I have to know what to expect from the opposition. I have to know when I'm feeling good, because I have to make the best of my opportunity."

Willingham hit 26 home runs and drove in 74 runs while batting .277 as a rookie in 2006. His numbers this spring are not that impressive (.160 BA and four RBI), but you shouldn't put too much into spring numbers. He will see plenty of pitches hitting behind Cabrera this season and could be poised for another big year. Unfortunately for Fantasy owners, Willingham no longer has catcher eligibility. Still, he is a top 50 Fantasy outfielder worth drafting in any Fantasy format.
Source: CBS SportsLine.com