Thursday, March 22, 2007

Furcal only has ankle sprain

Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal sprained his left ankle Thursday when he collided with teammate Jason Repko after catching a fly ball in short center field but doesn't figure to miss much playing time. "I thought I had broken it, but I'm glad it's only sprained," a relieved Furcal said after the Dodgers lost to Baltimore. "I was relieved with the results. I had a similar injury in 2002 with the Braves in spring training," Furcal said. "I may be out four or five days. I could play if it's 80 percent. You don't always play at 100 percent -- sometimes you play hurt."

Stan Conte, the Dodgers' director of medical services, said he believes Furcal will be sidelined for about a week. "We're very thankful that it wasn't more serious than what it was," Dodgers manager Grady Little said. "Hopefully, he'll get back out there in a much shorter period than we thought initially." Furcal, a 29-year-old switch hitter, batted .300 with 15 homers, 63 RBI, 37 stolen bases and 113 runs scored for Los Angeles last season - his first with the team. He played six seasons with Atlanta before signing a three-year, $39 million contract with the Dodgers. Furcal is easily a top-10 Fantasy shortstop when healthy.
Source: CBS SportsLine.com